Thursday, November 04, 2010

Entrustment ceremonies



We have been blessed by Little Miss' birth mom by having an entrustment ceremony. This is a ceremony planned by one or all parts of the adoption triad, symbolizing the entrustment of the child into the adoptive family's care. Little Miss' birth mom was willing to do this when I suggested it as an option. She came over to our hotel the day after they left the hospital. It was really simple, and pretty informal, but very significant to me, and I pray to Miss S as well. I read a poem for Miss S and a poem for Little Miss, Miss S said a few nice words to us, and then we lit the candles. The tall candles represent our family and Miss S, and the short one represents Little Miss. We lit Little Miss' candle together at the same time, much like a unity candle at a wedding. Below are the poems I read.




Dear Birth Mother

by Karen Ledbetter


You gave a gift,
A brand new life,
Tiny and sweet,
A blessing indeed.

A baby girl,
Precious and small,
An answer to prayer,
No joy can compare.

No more empty arms,
I'm thrilled like no other,
You chose life and
Made me a mother.

Thank you so much
For this precious gift,
For being God's answer
to my prayers and tears.
The Answer
Not flesh of my flesh,
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously
my own.
Never forget,
For a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart,
but in it.

No comments: